You may have heard the term “garage door repair” thrown around by your friends and family members, but you might not know exactly what it means. You probably think that this is something that you should call a handyman for, but there’s actually more to it than that. If you’re looking for a way to make sure that your garage door is in good condition, then you need to know how to perform the necessary maintenance yourself. This is especially true if you’re planning on having someone install new doors in the future. Here are some tips that will help you get started.
1. Inspect your door regularly. If you’re having problems with your garage door, you’ll want to inspect it for damage. You can do this by simply looking at it from the inside. You can also use a flashlight to look at the tracks and rollers. Make sure that they’re all in good shape, and that the springs aren’t damaged. If you notice any of these things, you should take the time to fix them right away.
2. Clean the tracks. You’ll need to remove any debris that has collected on them. This is something that you can do by hand, or with a small power tool like a Dremel. It’s best to clean the tracks when they’re dry, so you don’t cause any more damage.
3. Test the door. Now that you’ve taken care of the tracks, you can test the door. There are many different ways that you can do this. For example, you can lift it up and see if it works properly. You can also try closing it and opening it again. If it doesn’t work, you’ll want to find out why.
4. Perform minor repairs. Once you’ve taken care of the major issues, you can move on to the minor ones. These can include fixing loose cables, or replacing broken rollers. You can easily fix these problems yourself, or you can call a professional to do it for you.
5. Use the right tools. Before you start doing any work, you’ll want to make sure that you have the right tools. You’ll need a screwdriver set, as well as a wrench set. You can also buy special tools that are designed specifically for garage door repair. You’ll want to make sure that the tools you choose are rated for the materials that you’ll be working with.